Interesting news, content that is only for Xbox Live Gold members… which even Tycho thinks is understandable, but I agree with his comments about what kind of content is being restricted.
they made a serious misstep with the content they chose to inaugurate Silver’s descent into squalor: a trailer for Gears of War. An advertisement. Now, don’t get me wrong. This is really quite a trailer. The term “trailer” may even be insufficient. But, um… When you make people pony up for instant access to ads? They might get the impression that you are taking advantage of them.
Don’t we put up trailers to help us sell the game? In which case, wouldn’t we want every person with a pulse (and a wallet) to view them? Can Silver members play Gears? (the answer is yes, by the way) Then why not show them ad and convince them to buy? Oh, you want them to move up to Gold… well, shouldn’t the cool multi-player gaming features of a game like Gear be the carrot for that type of move?
Some relevant comments from Major Nelson’s post… there were many “this is an amazing trailer, I’m going to buy the game” type of comments as well, but in regards to the gold vs. silver bit there were these:
- You need to pay (gold) to download a commercial? What an idiots…..
- Just gold members? I hope this doesn’t turn into a trend, videos were for all members before. It’s not like silver members aren’t buying the damn game you know.
- Gold members only? Are you serious? That’s pretty crappy.
- Cool, thanks. Finally some content for the paying members.
- From the lack of registered silver members posting here I conclude that we are all crying in a corner.
- Nice! I hope we see more exclusive Gold content, we are paying $$$ yearly for the service there should be some perks to it. You silver members complaining can always upgrade to Gold.
- I hate to say this but i am glad it is GOLD members only, it’s about time Gold members got some exclusive stuff, silver members are using badwidth too and pay nothing, Xbox live is not expensive at all and worth every penny.
- Of course it is GOLD ONLY… they want to sell Live subscriptions for a hyped out game. Shady yes, but business as usual with MSFT.
- It’s pretty safe to bet this will eventually appear on Silver too, so I don’t see the big deal. Giving Gold members some things first isn’t such a terrible idea, but I guess that depends on which version you have yourself lol
- I’m an Xbox Live Gold subscriber, but the idea that you have to be a Gold member to get content early does not sit well me me. I love Xbox 360 and Marketplace, but it’s stupid decisions like this which will make me rethink supporting it this console.
- It’s $4 a month for XBL gold eh? Someone show me where I can buy ONE month of gold for $4. Idiots. Also, “there isn’t enough separation” between gold and silver? How about the fact that silver users can’t PLAY GAMES ONLINE? Isn’t that the ostensible purpose of XBL anyway? I say all of this as a gold subscriber.
The comments actually started out rather balanced, but head more to the ‘Silver accounts can play Gears too’ side as you scroll down… I can only assume that is because the most interested followers of Major Nelson’s posts are mostly Gold subscribers (which makes sense).
Jesse and I headed over to the Xbox buildings and interviewed Deb Louis about the new Xbox 360 Wireless Headset… video coming soon! In the meantime, here are some frame captures for your enjoyment 🙂
My buddy (and co-author on Xbox 360 For Dummies!) Brian Johnson has started a new column on Xbox.com aimed at parents … parents who game with their kids… parents whose kids play games… and even just parents who play games (gaming is different for folks who have kids in the house!).
Check out his entry about it here: Gamer Dad Column
Fairly mixed response over on MajorNelson.com to this game, mostly either people who love it or people who are wishing we’d stop with the ‘retro’ games already… I’m a bit on the fence here myself, I like these games (Dig Dug, Time Pilot, Pac Man…) but I’m pretty disappointed that they’ve been left so … ‘pure’ … I mean, I think it would be cool to have an ‘original’ game mode that only uses a fraction of the pixels of my TV, but I would really like to see another mode (one that I think would be really popular) where the graphics really are on par with what we’d expect on a 360.
I’m not suggesting changing the game, making Dig Dug into a FPS or anything, just redoing the graphics to take advantage of a 720p screen. Hell, even just scaling the game screen up to fill more of my screen would make me happy… even if it stayed blocky 🙂
What do you think?
Sometimes it is hard to know what you are getting on the marketplace, especially with themes and gamer pics, but in general there is a lot of content and it isn’t always easy to find what you are looking for. Well, it seems that will be less of a problem, thanks to the launch of the “Xbox Live Pipeline” an online site to let you dig around through the available marketplace content, complete with descriptions and preview images.
I loved this email from Xbox Live today:
Gears of War – Trust in the Coalition of Ordered Governments
Trust in the Coalition of Ordered Governments. Sera will triumph because of the Coalition. The Locust are weak compared to the Coalition. Trust in the Coalition of Ordered Governments. Sera will Marcus triumph because Fenix of the Coalition. The Locust are weak compared to the Coalition. Trust in the Coalition of Ordered Governments. Sera has will triumph because of the Coalition. The Locust are weak compared to the Coalition. Trust in the Coalition been of Ordered Governments. Sera will triumph because of the Coalition. The Locust are weak compared to located the Coalition. Trust in the Coalition You of Ordered Governments. Sera will triumph because of the Coalition. The Locust are weak compared have to the Coalition. Trust in the Coalition of Ordered Governments. Sera will 48 triumph because hours of the Coalition. The Locust are weak compared to the Coalition. Trust in the Coalition of Ordered Governments. Sera will triumph because of the to Coalition. The Locust are weak compared to the Coalition. Trust in the Coalition of Ordered mobilize Governments. Sera will triumph because of the Coalition. The Locust are weak compared to the Coalition. Trust in ….
Wow, that’s marketing.
Remember, Emergence Day Is Coming (11/7) (order through Amazon.com) and check out these two Gears videos from on10.net:
TotemBall, the gesture-based game that works with the Xbox Live Vision camera, just shipped to the Xbox Live Marketplace. It is a free download, but you need to have the camera to play. While you are waiting for it to download, check out my video demo of TotemBall up on 10.
Wow, very cool stuff. Another fun example of how little Microsoft employees know about Microsoft products (I learned about this game from gamespot!) but still, very exciting. Another RTS for the 360 too; I’m playing Battle for Middle Earth now so I’m looking forward to the idea of a second RTS to play from my couch! More details on Halo Wars, including trailers, available here.
I went over to 360Style.net today to find that it has been totally redesigned… same great content, much easier to find your way around. While I was there I picked up a new background for my Vista box. The wallpapers that ship with Vista are beautiful, but they can’t compare with this…
(also available via the Xbox Live marketplace on your 360)